My modest review

Apr 21, 2009 at 8:57 PM
Hi,
* I'm not a reviewer * but I have bought the ebook and after a complete read it, I want to comment somethings.

Overall: I really like & enjoy the ebook. For my as a NH beginner it has been important to follow a complete sample (a really Step by Step!) and the way of the explanations are OK. It includes a lot topics that I want to learn about NH. The written style it's OK.

Things I think the ebook should consider to include in another edition / another ebook in order to get a more professional understanding:
- Tests explanations (like RhinoMock)
- Using a IoC container (like Windsor)
- Add an example using Winforms (in order to have both versions working: web and winform).
- An example using some of the code generator (like MyGeneration)
- More examples using the mapping and relational configurations when we have more complicated databases schemas and relations (I think this should be a must do).
- Examples with ActiveRecord.

kudos for you buddy!

Regards.
Coordinator
Apr 22, 2009 at 8:06 AM
Hi GerardoPG,

Thank you for your comments they are very much appreciated :0)

I am planning on adding a win forms or WPF user interface to the project to demostrate using NHibernate in a different context.

I am currently in the early process of co-authoring a book that will cover Enterprise .net TDD and Mocking Frameworks, as well as Dependecny Injection and IoC Containers like Windsor, Unity & StructureMap. I have updated the project to use StructureMap as the IoC Container which you should see in the source.

Have you looked at Castle ActiveRecord,  it's built on top of NHibernate and could be what you are after - http://www.castleproject.org/activerecord/index.html.

As for more complicated examples I would need some kind of legacy application to work with, if I can convince Wrox that I have enough material for a book then maybe it would be a goer.

Regards
Scott
Apr 22, 2009 at 1:54 PM
Hi Scott,
I would be very interesting to hear news when you can share information about that possible book. If you can add the winforms and wpf samples to the source code it would be great!

I'm trying to learn about ActiveRecord as you suggest, I'm googling. I'm going to take a look to the source code looking the implementation of the IoC container.

And about your last comment, is because I usually implement a general schema for any kind of projects. This schema (i don't know to translate it or if it implements a db pattern) uses tables for making relations between severals tables; tables that link Id (2, 3, 4 or any  quantity of IDs) - I can send you a diagram if you want. We use this initials schemas for automation systems.

Any way, I think your job was great and I hope you can share more technniques and info of your future book.

Regards.
Jun 16, 2009 at 10:14 AM

Hi scott,

Do you have this sample application developed in C#?

Thanks,

Asif

Coordinator
Jun 19, 2009 at 4:06 PM

Hi Asif,

I am going to try and find some time to do this in the not to distance future, when I do I will post the code up here.

Cheers
Scott

Jun 19, 2009 at 4:24 PM
Edited Jun 19, 2009 at 7:59 PM

I really like the examples in this ebook!  I have a similar problem to asifalim, though.  We're a c# shop and so I need it in c#.  I've gone through and converted all of it however I'm running into some problems with the SessionFactory.  I keep getting the error: No CurrentSessionContext configured (set the property current_session_context_class) whenever I try to get the current session via GetCurrentSession.  Very frustrating -  I'm a newbie when it comes to NHibernate so I'll have to keep whacking away at it til I figure it out.

Eric

Coordinator
Jun 20, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I have almost finished converting the project  to C#, should be up by monday - cheers scott  :0)

Jun 20, 2009 at 1:30 AM

That's awsome!  Like I said I had some problems with the SessionFactory and I did reorganize the project to make it conform a little more to DDD.  Or atleast DDD as I know it which isn't much 'cause I'm still picking through Evans, Nilsson and Fowler books.  Thanks!

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:41 PM

Hi Scott - just wanted to check in with you and see how the conversion was going.  If your schedule is anything like mine you're probably juggling ten things at once so I certainly wouldn't blame you if this got back burnered :(

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2009 at 1:52 PM

Ooops :0( All my time has been taken up with finishing my last chapter of a book that I am writing with another guy - http://www.amazon.co.uk/Professional-Enterprise-NET-Jon-Arking/dp/0470447613/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1246024231&sr=8-2.

I have converted all but the MVC Project so I aim to have it up over the weekend fingers crossed!

Jun 26, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the reply with a good news. Desprately waiting for C# code.

Thanks,

Asif

Jun 26, 2009 at 2:40 PM

I can't speak for Asif but I'd be fine with just the NHibernate stuff in c#.  I haven't started learning MVC yet, anyway.  Right now NHibernate is my main priority.

Thanks,

Eric

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2009 at 4:05 PM
Edited Jun 26, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Here is a link to the project converted to C# with only the customers section working. I will finish is off over the weekend and upload it.

NHibernate with ASP.net Problem-Design-Solution - C#
http://www.elbandit.co.uk/projects/NhibernateCSharp.zip

Jun 26, 2009 at 5:37 PM

Hi Scott,

I just compared your SessionFactory to mine and they are identical with the exception of my 'using' statements for NHibernate.  Have you run your nhibernate code yet?  When I try to call the GetCurrentSession I get the follwoing error message:

NHibernate.HibernateException: No CurrentSessionContext configured (set the property current_session_context_class)!

I looked all through google and couldn't find an obvious solution (for a newbie to NHibernate, anyway).  Asif, I'd be interested in seeing if you have the same problem.  I checked the web.config file in the UI.MVCWeb directory and my hibernate-configuration section looked identical.  The current_session_context_class is set in my App.config in my unit test project.

Thanx,

Eric

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2009 at 6:25 PM

Did you Configure the NHibernateHttpModule class in the web.config?

If you check the web.config you will find a section like this:

<httpModules>
      <
add name="NHibernateHttpModule" type="ACompany.OrderProcessing.NhibernateRepository.NHibernateHttpModule"/>
</httpModules>

You will need this so that it is included on the ASP.net pipline when a request occurs. The NHibernateHttModule wires up the current session and closes it after the request finishes.

Let me know if it solves your issue.

This is not the only way to keep a current session, you could always store the Nhibernate Session in the ASP.net session for example.

Cheers
Scott

Coordinator
Jun 26, 2009 at 6:35 PM
Edited Jun 26, 2009 at 6:36 PM

You could update the SessionFactory class like so:

using NHibernate;
using NHibernate.Cfg;
using System.Web;

namespace ACompany.OrderProcessing.NhibernateRepository
{
    public class SessionFactory
    {
        private static ISessionFactory _SessionFactory;
        private static ISession _session;

private static void Init()
        {
            Configuration  config = new Configuration();
            config.AddAssembly("ACompany.OrderProcessing.NhibernateRepository");

log4net.Config.XmlConfigurator.Configure();

config.Configure();

_SessionFactory = config.BuildSessionFactory();
        }

public static ISessionFactory GetSessionFactory()
        {
            if (_SessionFactory == null)
                Init();

return _SessionFactory;
        }

public static ISession GetNewSession()
        {
            return GetSessionFactory().OpenSession();
        }

public static ISession GetCurrentSession()
        {
            if (HttpContext.Current != null)
            {
                if (HttpContext.Current.Items["NHibernateSession"] == null)
                    HttpContext.Current.Items["NHibernateSession"] = GetNewSession();
                return (ISession)HttpContext.Current.Items["NHibernateSession"];
            }
            else
            {
                if (_session == null)
                    _session = GetNewSession();

return _session;
            }

}

}
}
This should be easier when you are using it in your unit tests, let me know how you get on.
Cheers
Scott
Jun 26, 2009 at 7:03 PM
Ahh yes, I see that in your web.config.  I'm just sort of testing everything out using class libraries.  One of the class library projects is an NUnit test project that I'm using to test out the domain, repositories, etc.  When everything looks like it's working I was going to hook it up to a website.  Which means I'm using an app.config.  Can I create an <httpModules> section with out a traditional website?

Thanks for your help!

Eric

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:28 PM, scott_millett <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Did you Configure the NHibernateHttpModule class in the web.config?

If you check the web.config you will find a section like this:

<httpModules>
      <
add name="NHibernateHttpModule" type="ACompany.OrderProcessing.NhibernateRepository.NHibernateHttpModule"/>
</httpModules>

You will need this so that it is included on the ASP.net pipline when a request occurs. The NHibernateHttModule wires up the current session and closes it after the request finishes.

Let me know if it solves your issue.

This is not the only way to keep a current session, you could always store the Nhibernate Session in the ASP.net session for example.

Cheers
Scott

Read the full discussion online.

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NHibernateASP@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NHibernateASP@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 26, 2009 at 7:05 PM
Excellent!  I'll give it a try right now - thanks again!

On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:35 PM, scott_millett <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

<!-- code formatted by http://manoli.net/csharpformat/ --><!-- .csharpcode, .csharpcode pre { font-size: small; color: black; font-family: Consolas, "Courier New", Courier, Monospace; background-color: #ffffff; /*white-space: pre;*/ } .csharpcode pre { margin: 0em; } .csharpcode .rem { color: #008000; } .csharpcode .kwrd { color: #0000ff; } .csharpcode .str { color: #006080; } .csharpcode .op { color: #0000c0; } .csharpcode .preproc { color: #cc6633; } .csharpcode .asp { background-color: #ffff00; } .csharpcode .html { color: #800000; } .csharpcode .attr { color: #ff0000; } .csharpcode .alt { background-color: #f4f4f4; width: 100%; margin: 0em; } .csharpcode .lnum { color: #606060; } -->
using NHibernate;
using NHibernate.Cfg;
using System.Web;

{
    {

{

config.Configure();

}

{
                Init();

return _SessionFactory;
        }

{
        }

{
            {
            }
            else
            {
                if (_session == null)

return _session;
            }

}

}
}
This should be easier when you are using it in your unit tests, let me know how you get on.
Cheers
Scott

To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (NHibernateASP@discussions.codeplex.com)

To start a new discussion for this project, email NHibernateASP@discussions.codeplex.com

You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on codePlex.com.

Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at codeplex.com

Jun 29, 2009 at 5:33 PM
Hi Scott,

Yep, that did it - thanks!  The unit test came back green however I received the following warnings/errors from nhibernate:

2009-06-29 13:28:00,930 WARN Could not load type Web. Possible cause: no assembly name specified.
2009-06-29 13:28:00,930 ERROR Could not load type Web.

I think it may be complaining about the current_session_context_class?  It is set to Web:
<property name="current_session_context_class">Web</property>

Thanks again!

Eric
On Fri, Jun 26, 2009 at 2:35 PM, scott_millett <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

<!-- code formatted by http://manoli.net/csharpformat/ --><!-- .csharpcode, .csharpcode pre { font-size: small; color: black; font-family: Consolas, "Courier New", Courier, Monospace; background-color: #ffffff; /*white-space: pre;*/ } .csharpcode pre { margin: 0em; } .csharpcode .rem { color: #008000; } .csharpcode .kwrd { color: #0000ff; } .csharpcode .str { color: #006080; } .csharpcode .op { color: #0000c0; } .csharpcode .preproc { color: #cc6633; } .csharpcode .asp { background-color: #ffff00; } .csharpcode .html { color: #800000; } .csharpcode .attr { color: #ff0000; } .csharpcode .alt { background-color: #f4f4f4; width: 100%; margin: 0em; } .csharpcode .lnum { color: #606060; } -->
using NHibernate;
using NHibernate.Cfg;
using System.Web;

{
    {

{

config.Configure();

}

{
                Init();

return _SessionFactory;
        }

{
        }

{
            {
            }
            else
            {
                if (_session == null)

return _session;
            }

}

}
}
Cheers
Scott

Coordinator
Oct 2, 2009 at 4:28 PM

Hi Eric and Asif,

I have justed finished writing a book all about the architecture used to create this project in C# that you may find useful, see the links below for more info.

Let me know if you need any more information.
Cheer
Scott

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:30 PM
Hi Scott,

Wow, congrats on getting another book published!  I created a website for someone who has been trying to get published since 2006 and his book finally got published - so I've seen what a lot of back breaking labor it can be. 

I definitely enjoyed your last book.  In fact everything in the .net world I am currently writing is based on it.  Great stuff.  I need to move on to MVC - hopefully I'll have some time to start looking into that.

Sincerely,

Eric Downey

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM, scott_millett <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Eric and Asif,

I have justed finished writing a book all about the architecture used to create this project in C# that you may find useful, see the links below for more info.

Cheer
Scott

Oct 2, 2009 at 5:36 PM
Ok, I just took a look at the table of contents for your book on Amazon.  I can see where I'll be picking this one up once it hits the shelves - can hardly wait!

Eric

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:28 PM, scott_millett <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Eric and Asif,

Cheer
Scott

Oct 3, 2009 at 2:44 AM
Hi all,
@Scott,
really, do you know any plan to sell it as ebook? I really like to buy it.

Thanks and congratulations for another book from you and your partner.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 12:36 PM, edowney <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Ok, I just took a look at the table of contents for your book on Amazon.  I can see where I'll be picking this one up once it hits the shelves - can hardly wait!

Eric

Hi Eric and Asif,

Cheer
Scott

--
Gerardo Palazuelos Guerrero
gerardo@gerardopalazuelos.com             <=====
gerardo.palazuelos@gmail.com
http://gerardopalazuelos.blogspot.com     <=====
Coordinator
Oct 6, 2009 at 3:48 PM

Hi Gerardo,

I think they will proabably sell it as a ebook (PDF), check this page in a couple of weeks - http://www.wrox.com/WileyCDA/WroxTitle/Professional-Enterprise-NET.productCd-0470447613.html.

Cheers
Scott

Oct 9, 2009 at 10:02 AM

hi,

the C# code base project which you have posted recently ...

i would like to tell you there are manay errors in it...

1. e.g baseRepository calss is abstract where as all the function in it are well define
  2. in Product.hbm.xml file data types  didnt match with Product.cs in model assebly...
  3. there are many more mistakes i would like to know have to tested the code by your self too or not ?

plz correct me if i am wrong... serioulsy looking forward.

fix your code man so that we can buy your this book too.

Regards, Asfand.

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2009 at 10:56 AM

Hi Asfand,

Are you refering to the ProEnt.LoanPrequalification project or the ACompany.OrderProcessing project? Could you also give me the link to which version you are getting so that I can check it out.

Cheers
Scott

Oct 9, 2009 at 11:26 AM

yah i am getting problem in ProEnt.LoanPrequalification.

plz make sure its fixed... i am on it too.

Counting on you man

Coordinator
Oct 9, 2009 at 1:33 PM
I am away for the weekend but I will get on it as soon as I am back on Sunday

Sent from my iPhone

On 9 Oct 2009, at 12:26, asfand <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

yah i am getting problem in ProEnt.LoanPrequalification.

plz make sure its fixed... i am on it too.

Counting on you man

Coordinator
Oct 11, 2009 at 1:16 PM

Hi Asfand,

I can't seem to recreate your issues, could you send me your code or email a screen shot so that I can get a better idea of what the problem is?

Cheers
Scott

Oct 12, 2009 at 9:47 AM
model and mappings files cant be compiled properly. where as i set .hbm.xml as a embaded resource.
i just add a new project
and try to do it.

BorrowerRepository br = new BorrowerRepository();
DataSet ds = br.temp();
RadGrid1.DataSource = ds;
RadGrid1.DataBind();

public DataSet temp()
{
DataSet ds = (DataSet)SessionProvider.GetCurrentSession().CreateQuery("select from Products");
return ds;
}

Have more than one Hotmail account? Link them together to easily access both.
Coordinator
Oct 12, 2009 at 7:36 PM

Hi Asfand,

Can you zip up the code and email it to me please? - Scott at elbandit.co.uk

Cheers
Scott

Oct 15, 2009 at 9:50 AM

Hi
man we are still looking for you respose
but you didnt email us yet...
did you find out the source code in my email ?
and let me know when i am expecting your reponse.
Regards,
asfand

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2009 12:40:45 -0700
Subject: Re: My modest review [NHibernateASP:54046]

Hi Asfand,

Cheers
Scott

Stay in touch with your friends through Messenger on your mobile. Learn more.
Coordinator
Oct 15, 2009 at 1:57 PM
Hi Asfand,

I did get your source code and I have pencilled some time to look into it tonight. Speak to you then.

Cheers
Scott

Sent: 15 October 2009 10:51
To: scott@elbandit.co.uk

Hi
Regards,
asfand

Hi Asfand,

Cheers
Scott

Coordinator
Oct 15, 2009 at 1:58 PM
Hi Asfand,

I did get your source code and I have pencilled some time to look into it tonight. Speak to you then.

Cheers
Scott

Sent: 15 October 2009 10:51
To: scott@elbandit.co.uk

Hi
Regards,
asfand

Hi Asfand,

Cheers
Scott

Nov 7, 2009 at 4:27 PM
Hi Scott,
I have bought your last book and recently I have received. I really, really hopes it can help me understanding all the stuff it try to explain. I'm going to read and test; wait for my "modest review" again. thanks.

Gerardo.

On Fri, Oct 2, 2009 at 10:28 AM, scott_millett <notifications@codeplex.com> wrote:

Hi Eric and Asif,

Cheer
Scott

--
Gerardo Palazuelos Guerrero
gerardo@gerardopalazuelos.com             <=====
gerardo.palazuelos@gmail.com
http://gerardopalazuelos.blogspot.com     <=====